Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Western Re-Animation

When was the last time you saw a good western movie? Well . . how about a paranormally tinged western shoot 'em up? Ok . . . This seems to be a blossoming sub-genre, or genre-melding if you want, that is about to burst onto your movie screens within a year or so. I had read about a Chow Yun Fat western where he fights zombies. Nothing like a zombie to ruin a cattle drive right?

The most recent bit of supernatural western news comes from ThinkFilm. They've got a pretty low budget (5 million) feature slated to begin production in a couple of months. Titled High Midnight, it's supposedly about a haggard sheriff who joins up with a kooky vampire hunter. I'm wary about the "kooky" part, and I'm really hoping they don't mess this up. I really like westerns. Even had cowboy boots when I was a kid. They never fit right, but that didn't stop me from wearing them . . . and tripping over myself a lot.

High Midnight will be directed by Mary Lambert, who knows a thing or two about re-animation. She directed Pet Sematary, one of my favorite movies starring the Frankenstein guy from the Munsters. All his other movies are crap, but that one I truly cherish.

3 comments:

Crazy Dan said...

So you want a some cowboy in you do you. HEHEHE I can help.

Alex said...

I've been meaning to try out Darkwatch (http://www.darkwatch.com); which apparently combines horror and western themes in a first person shooter concept. In terms of good western movies; they are few and far between. I have "Blueberry" on my Netflix queue (http://imdb.com/title/tt0276830/combined). It looks interesting. I don't know if it looks GOOD. But interesting.

Jaime said...

Darkwatch looked interesting, but i've been so disappointed by every single FPS that's not Halo that i don't even try them out anymore.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)