Monday, July 18, 2005

Phishing

I received an e-mail notification from "my bank" claiming that I had exceeded the number of failed attempts to access my account with them. This might have led me to try to resolve the problem . . . if only the phishers had actually used the correct bank when they sent me the e-mail.



Online Security Notification

Dear LaSalle Bank Member,

To prevent unauthorized access to your LaSalle Internet Banking account, we have limited the number of failed login attempts. You have exceeded this number of attempts.

As an additional security measure your access to Online Banking has been limited.

Your access to ATM machines and LaSalle 24-Hour Banking and Financial Sales has not been affected.

To restore your account access, please follow the link below:

https://onlinebanking.banklasalle.ca/

Thank you for using LaSalle Bank.

I don't use "LaSalle Bank". I have never even heard of them. After reading this, I immediately sent out a phisher notification to gmail. This is the first time I've ever been targeted by these assholes, but I've heard stories of this happening all the time. I'm in the finance department for an ISP, so I make countless amounts of calls to people who's auto-payments decline due to a change in credit/debit/checking account being changed. This is one of the main reasons they have to change all their information. Because they were dumb enough to fall for this ruse.

8 comments:

Big D said...

Go to 419eater.com and check out some of there stuff it's funny.

Chandira said...

There is no LaSalle bank. I see a lot of crap from them daily, I administrate our junkmail here at work, when I'm not blogging.. lol

Ignore. Even if from your OWN bank. msot banks will contact you by phone/letter, not email. If you're unsure, call your bank! The can verify if they sent you email...

Whoever's sending those emails is a parasitic bottom-feeder.

Jaime said...

i actually looked for a LaSalle bank online, and found it. they had a page on their site stating that customers and non-customers were getting this e-mail. i have since received about 10 e-mails since the first one. i keep reporting them to g-mail as phishers.

Anonymous said...

I get mail from every possible bank imaginable. I don't belong to any that I get. These people are scum.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad I haven't gotten any of those phishing scam e-mails, and I feel sorry for those who get duped. Here's hoping to bringing those assholes to justice as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

The latest one is Ebay.. They're NOT from ebay.. Don't update your account info without a call ot ebay cust. svcs!!

Jaime said...

everyday it's something new with these phishers.

Eric2613 said...

Those messages are crap but LaSalle Bank is a large Chicago based bank owned by ABN Amro (HQed in the Netherlands).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)