Saturday, June 25, 2005

Stood Up

After more than two years of marriage I was almost certain that getting stood up was pretty much a thing of the past. So I wasn't ready for it when the concept reared it's ugly head last night. As you may remember (and if you don't, scroll down a couple of entries) I was all set to go watch George A. Romero's Land of The Dead last night. So, was it the wife that decided to not show up as she had promised to do so? No, she was right there with me as the showtime came and went and The Sal for some unbeknownst reason decided not to show up.

Yes, The Sal stood us up. We had decided to all go together to this zombie flick, and as I left work Friday afternoon, I noticed him buying tickets online. I figured that I might as well get that over with so I wouldn't hassle with it later that night. I handed him a twenty and told him to get Heather and I pair while he was doing that. He said sure, and after a little confusion (The Sal - "It's not even playing at that theater man" Me-"Scroll down and look for George A Romero's" The Sal - "oh, there it is"), an agreement was made to meet up at the Paseo Colorado 14 at 10-ish. The show was at 10:10pm, and he assured me that he did this all the time. He showed up minutes prior to the movie, swiped something or other, and went into the theater.

10:10pm comes along. The wife and I have been waiting for The Sal outside the box office area on the little metal chairs for about half an hour. He is nowhere to be seen. Ordinarily, this wouldn't have been much of a problem for me, but I had given him the ticket money, so I had techinically already paid. 10:11pm comes around and I say "Fuck it", I go to the credit card ticket dispensing machine . . . only to find it's out of commission. In fact, the whole theater's Credit Card/ATM system is down.

So, you might be saying to yourself "There's usually 10-15 minutes of previews, did you wait for him?" We did, til 10:20, at which time, feeling pissed and thwarted, we could no longer wait for him. If there's something I hate is paying for a movie and missing the first few scenes of a movie. So we left. I don't know if he showed up after. If he did, I hope he got a refund for the extra two tix, because I'll be damned if I don't get my 20 bucks back from him on Monday when I see his ass again.

The only fortunate thing about missing the movie though . . . validated parking. That, and the DVD zombie marathon that my wife suggested we partake in instead. She's such a trooper. Don't tell anyone, but she says she's starting to enjoy the zombie horror genre.

*Music I listed to while coming up with this post:
Guilty Cubicles - Broken Social Scene
Vegas Two Times - Stereophonics
Winding Road - Bonnie Somerville
Hear Me Out - Frou Frou
30 Century Man - Scott Walker
I'm Never Bored - The Walkmen
Against All Odds - The Postal Service
P45 (5/4) - Gorillaz Vs Space Monkeyz

3 comments:

|absolute absurdities| said...

Alright man so I don't know where to begin but...IM SORRY BRO! Look it was first for me too, not that it justifys what happend, but I was a trashed, I had no car and waited forever for a ride. I owe you one BIGTIME. If you don't think that I dont feel like shit for doing this then you wrong. Believe me I was on my way but some circumstances limited me to get a hold of ya. If it makes ya feel any better I passed out in some bushes shortly after arriving at paseo. I dont blame ya for leaving and feeling the way you did. My bad man.

Jaime said...

it's all good bro. i'm no longer pissed. plus, it gave me a chance to re-acquaint myself with the older Romero flicks.

deestract said...

Awww...what a cool wife you have.
What a cool friend you are.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)