Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Getting The Shaft

I wish this post were about elevators, or golf clubs . . . or the purchasing of the seminal 70's blaxploitation classic. No, this morning, I got a phone call from the staffing agency. Let's call them "Asshole Staffing". They got a call this morning from the office in which I work, letting them know that I didn't need to come in today. Free day! Yay . . .well, if it were under normal circumstances, I'd be celebrating, but you see . . . I have absolutely zero days off. No sick days, no vacation time, zilch. Anyone who's worked on "temp" status can feel my pain right now.

A day lost at work essentially translates to a 1/5 loss in revenue for myself this particular week. I had my budget planned perfectly for the next two weeks, taking into account the UNPAID 4th of July holiday (this is certainly un-American) coming up. This really throws a wrench into the inner workings of my finances right now. Hey, know what you could do to help? Click on those damn "crisp ads" and "google" text ads. I need to make up the loss . . one quarter at a time.

The thing that really ticks me off though . . . apart from the loss of money; and there really isn't anything I hate more than losing money, is the way Asshole Staffing behaves towards yours truly. I have been a good little worker bee for them for well over a year. In that span of time, I have taken no more than 3 personal days. Any other absences were either unpaid holidays (Thanksgiving hurt the wallet quite a bit) or days like today, where I get the shaft. And they are so nice when they call about days like this too. It's like they've got this big grin on their stupid monkey faces when they decide to deliver bad news to me. God forbid I were to call in sick or for a personal matter that would keep me from going in that day. Oh no, then the attitude is palpable through the phone receiver. They are short, uncourteous, and a millimeter away from chopping my head off with their verbiage.

I don't understand why they act like this. It's fairly unprofessional if you ask me. Not that I am extermely pissed about it now at around noon-ish when I'm writing this from home. I got to take care of some car related things (wash & oil change), played some Halo 2 to let off some steam, and will most likely be going out for some greek food (I drool for feta cheese) and catch War of the Worlds later before the theaters get too crowded with the "just got out of work" crowds. The day is not a total loss. I also get to spend some quality time with the wife, which is always good. It just chaps my ass when I have to talk to Asshole Staffing. About anything. I just hope I don't get another one of these calls tomorrow morning. There's no way I'm missing two days in a row of work. I'm no workaholic . . . but I am addicted to fattening my bank account.

*Music I listed to while coming up with this entry:
Hurry Up And Wait - Stereophonics
Speed Dial No. 2 - Zero 7
Last Living Souls - Gorillaz
Wake Up - The Arcade Fire
Jonathan Fisk - Spoon
A Million Reasons - Stellastarr
These Days - Nico

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

=( what the heck is going on???

Jaime said...

Well, this happened around the same time last year. they just don't load enough calls. We ran out of calls on tuesday @ around 6pm anyway. They can't get their shit together over there. Where was call supervisor at the time?? hmm . . his jabber was on . . but he was nowhere to be found. whatever, i'll be in for work tomorrow. . . . . I hope.

Jaime said...

yes, i know, it's a necessary evil . . . but one, that hopefully, i will not need to deal with by year's end. i'd really to get some healthcare.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)