Friday, June 24, 2005

Land of The Dead

I can't wait. I'm going to go watch this movie tonight. I don't know how I managed to convince the wife, who is an unabashed wuss when it comes to anything remotely scary, to go to it with me. I'm offering up my arm, and will have plenty of band-aids on hand for the eventual clawing that I will have to endure. But it will be worth it. I have been waiting with great anticipation for the continuation of George A. Romero's zombie opus, and this one seems to be almost as good as Dawn of The Dead was. Not the remake with the fast zombies, but the 70's version.

And what is it with fast zombies? How the hell did everyone become a sprinter upon the reanimation of their corpses. Sure, they can be somewhat scary, and provide jump scares. But jump scares are the "dime-a-dozen" variety in Hollywood, closely followed by the "blurred figure walking in front of camera as the person in the background turns toward it and barely misses it" scare. I hate that. Not because it scares me, but because it's incredibly cheap and contrived.

I will most likely provide a review of this during the weekend. I have to say, it will be positive. No, I'm not setting myself for disappointment . . . Romero is just that good when it comes to the genre he helped cement. I recommend you watch it along with the rest of the horror fans this weekend. What other options do you have? Bewitched?? EL OH EL.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)