Thursday, June 09, 2005

Screwed

All hope is lost. The staffing agency that got me the job I am currently working has killed that. Now, I'm not saying that I am not grateful for the source of income they lined up for me. I enjoy working, earning money, and being self-sufficient as much as the next guy . . . but these people are making it infinitely unpleasant to work for them. "How so?" you may be asking. Well, for starters, they have built in this system of unhoppable hoops to ensure that holiday pay is next to non-existant. Let me run through this list of requirements with you.

First, you must have worked 13 weeks consecutively prior to the scheduled holiday (in this case we're talking Memorial Day). I have that. Next, you must have completed a cummulative 1000 work hours with the staffing agency to even be considered for holiday pay. I have that as well. This is where it gets intersting. You have to have completed 512 hours by the time of the holiday to get the pay. That is the hoop that's on fire. Surrounded by starving tigers that are also on fire. That is what always gets me. This time, I am almost positve that the mark was missed by 2-3 hours. That's it, 2-3 hours of missed work due to the place where I work at letting us go early (unpaid for me . . . paid for them) and I'm out a day's pay.

Don't get me started on benefits. I have to find a stable surface to get a grip of whenever a regularly staffed employee walks by talking about their sweet ass benefits. Or when they discuss the yearly performance bonuses. Or when they can freely take a day off and use their vacation time/sick day allowance and not worry about the impact to their paycheck. Ask me how many sick days I get? NONE! Oh, I've been sick in the past year that I have been working here, but I can't afford the luxury to stay home . . . nor can I afford to have the luxury to stay home when my wife isn't feeling well either. No, I have to walk away and go to work as I see her clearly in pain . . . and it kills me.

So the next time one of these staffed employees comes around with a big grin on their face or pleads to the supervisors to let them go early because it's a holiday weekend . . . I'm going to deck one of them. I don't care if 90% of them are soccer moms (or is it security moms . . .what is the government calling them these days?), i'll do it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)