Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekend Gross Out - Box Office Numbers

I completely avoided cinemas this past weekend. Didn't even go watch a couple of indie flicks I've been meaning to see. Funds are tight, what can I say. I needs me another American Idol advertising boom so that I can go check out the movies more often. Anyway, it's no surprise that "Click" got top weekend box office dollars. Sandler's movies, while lacking in quality, sure do attract moviegoers like a magnet. I think we all still wish they were good movies like "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison". "Cars" keeps making decent cash, which totally baffles me when I see this movie pimping products like selling out was going out of style. I just saw a Hertz commercial with Lightning McQueen in it and I wanted to kill myself. Why Pixar?? WHY!!!

"Nacho Libre", a movie that was way funnier than it's one joke premise would have made you think, comes in at #3 with some decent cash. I think it has more than doubled production costs, so expect "Nacho Libre 2: Mas Mucha Lucha" sometime in the near future. "Waist Deep" opens at #4, which can't bode well for it's impending sequel, "Chest Deep" or the planned final film in it's trilogy "Neck Deep in Shit". Oh well, black man can't get a break in Hollywood. Speaking of minorities, "The Fast and the Furious: Tokio Drift" shows us that Asians love to slide around in their rice rockets. Maybe the reason it's not doing so great at the box office is because of that fact. The target audience for this movie is most likely busy doing just that . . . sliding around in their rice rockets.

"The Lake House"s magic mailbox delivers a #6 spot in the countdown. Love is, apparently not welcome these days at the box office as "The Break-Up" follows closely in 7th position. "Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties" ends this tri-fecta of romatic movies. And yes, I'm considering it a romantic movie because it makes me sick in the stomach whenever I think about it, much like most romantic movies.

The bottom two in the list, "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "The Da Vinci Code" have performed admirably at the box office . . . despite being some of the worst movies to come out this year. Both top the scales at $200+ million. I wish someone paid me that much to smear my turds on celluloid and call it a movie. *sigh* Numbers and $100+ million takes in glorious monochromatic bold in the list below.

1. Click - $40,000,000
2. Cars - $22,540,000 $155,923,000
3. Nacho Libre - $12,138,000
4. Waist Deep - $9,452,000
5. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - $9,211,000
6. The Lake House - $8,305,000
7. The Break-Up - $6,105,000 $103,743,000
8. Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties - $4,750,000
9. X-Men: The Last Stand - $4,400,000 $224,064,000
10.The Da Vinci Code - $4,000,000 $205,539,000

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)