Wednesday, March 29, 2006

XBOX 360 . . . Pwnd!

Last night, after dinner at Daphne's Greek Cuisine (if there is one near you, highly recommended), the wife and I went to the Circuit City down the street from the restaurant. I had gotten a 25 dollar gift card from a relative for my upcoming birthday. I was intending to purchase King Kong on DVD. Circuit City had a great price for it ($13.99). We get there, fight through the rain, and find what we came for.

Instead of heading towards the cash register, with our intended purchase in hand, we start browsing through the store for something else to buy. I had another 10 bucks to spend on the card and I usually don't like to leave small balances on these things. As the wife is looking through the DVD selection, I wander over to the XBOX 360 display and start checking out one of their playable demos. Fight Night 3 looks amazing.

After a couple of minutes, the wife wanders over and comments about how she knew exactly where to find me. Then she starts looking at the racks and comes over to me with a peripheral that she wanted to get me for Christmas. It wouldn't have done me any good at that time, since you couldn't find an XBOX 360 anywhere then. She then urges me to ask one of the guys working there if they have any in stock.

I was a bit reluctant. I've been to many electronics stores in the past couple of months asking for that product, and whenever they had it, they had the shitty CORE version. I'm an ULTIMATE all the way kind of guy. No Hard drive, no sale. So, I find a guy that works there, and I, already anticipating disappointment, ask him if there are any in stock. He says "Let me check, you want the premium version right?" I tell him yes, and he comes back in a couple of minutes. He tells me there's 1 in the back, and to go to the cash register and they'll take care of me there.

I rush over to the front of the store. My wife is smiling because I'm finally going to get the one material thing I've wanted more than anything else. I ask for it, and the cashier retrieves my bright, shiny white box with the latest and greatest console gaming machine in it. I pay for it (bought the charge & play kit as well) with a credit card that has recently been cleared of about 90% of it's balance, and we walk out of the store . . . a bit dumbfounded by the experience.

My wife kept asking me why I wasn't more excited. I think I was just in a state of shock. Anyway, I hooked it up, set up the XBOX Live account on it, and was finally able to play the game she got me for XMAS (Perfect Dark Zero). Pretty amazing game. Solid shooter. I, of course, then moved over to Halo 2, which looks even prettier on the new console. Less slowdown as well while someone is on the internet while I'm playing. My wife was downloading Red VS Blue quicktime movies while I was playing and I noticed 0 lag on my end.

So, that's it. As soon as I get my end of the year bonus (which they're doling out in 5 installments), I'm paying the balance off on that card that the purchase tacked on. Then, I have a surprise for my wife. Shhhh . . . don't tell her I said that.

EDIT - Click to check out my Gamer Profile online (you need an MSN/Hotmail log-in).

1 comment:

Jaime said...

i'd invite you to check out tonight the Sal . . . but i'm making sweet love to the xbox 360's USB ports tonight while the wife's at school.

come by a little earlier than 6 on friday to check out the new console.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)