Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Tech Support - IT Jackass

Nothing special about this morning's tech support calls. Just this one guy who was a big asshole about the way the program needs to go on a computer. I will illustrate below, in a recreation of the conversation. It has been approximated to as accurate as possible, with the least amount of embellishments on my part.

Me - Thank you for calling *censored*, may I have your client number.
Client - Yes, it's *censored*, I'm actually the IT guy for the customer.
Me - What problem are you having with the account sir?
Client - The installation process asked for a user name and password. I put it in, and then later on, it would not do the updates anymore and asked me to configure it.
Me - Ok, well, sir, as far as I am aware, the installation of the executable file does not ask for any user name and password information.
Client - Well, I put it in there.
Me - You mean, you put it in the website to access the download and then did the installation.
Client - Yes, I did.
Me - Then that's different from what you told me just a few moments ago. The installation does not ask you for a user name and password.
Client - But I put it into the website. It should remember that information, it's only caused an annoyance here.
Me - Well, sir, did you read the user manual that is available for download on the same page.
Client - Of course not, the program should be intuitive enough that I shouldn't need to do that.
Me - Well, regardless, you should read a manual before you use anything. Everything from computer programs to televisions come with manuals. It's always helpful to read these before doing anything with your purchase.
Client - I shouldn't have to do that. Are you going to change the process so that the program remembers the user name and password.
Me - The process is not broken sir, there's no need to fix it.
Client - But it's annoying. I'm telling you there's a problem with it. You should pass it along and have it changed.
Me - I don't think so sir. Just configure the updates on all the machines as you know how to do now, and that solves the problem.
Client - So, you're not changing it. Can I speak to your supervisor?
Me - Sure, hold on.

I transfered. I'm sure he left some irate message for him, but what can we do? It's not our fault he's an idiot that doesn't know how to use a program. And to top it off, he's a self-proclaimed "IT" person. Yeah right. I bet IT stands for Intensly 'Tarded.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Ever seen Crank Yankers? "Hellu, dis is da supavisah, wut you wan?" I would make a bad bad tech support person.

Jaime said...

the thing is . . . he was typing the user name and password into the website, which will remember it . . but he was downloading an executable file so he could install an anti-virus program. how is the website going to make the program remember the information?

that's why he needed to configure the updates on his program.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)