Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Enter DVR

I finally decided to usher in the era of DVR filmed entertainment in my household. After years of telling my wife "nah, I don't think we can afford it really" we finally can. And it really coincides with our revamped workout efforts. Now, we really have no excuse for not going to the gym. We usually would say "we should go exercise, but . . Lost is on . . fuck it". None of that anymore. Now, we can record up to 51 hours of digital cable television and skip through commercials. We can even record two shows at a time. I love technology sometimes.

The price combined with the highspeed cable internet we have piping into out laptop via wireless connection is actually less than what I used to pay for just the cable and the internet a couple of years ago. How do I do this? Well, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, or in this case, it gets promotions from the local cable company every few months. All you need to do is call in every couple of months, and tell the them that you're thinking about moving over to Dish Network, and they'll drop their collective pants and bend over for you trying to keep you as a customer. Paying regular prices for cable's for suckers. I learned this little tactic from my sister, who really likes screwing over Adelphia.

As of yesterday our service was upgraded. Now, instead of only having channels 2 through 99, we're hooked up with channels 2 through 234. That includes HBO, Showtime, and The Movie Channel. The DVR box gets installed at no extra cost today between 1pm and 5pm. Even the times for installation are getting narrowed down some. I do have to call back in April to see if they can hook me up with new deals, and at that time, I'm most likely going to be dumping the movie channels. I'm too much of a DVD guy for that . . . but we did watch Elektra last night on the new setup . . . and thank God I did not spend money either buying or renting that piece of steaming shit. It's terrible. And when did Jennifer Garner get replaced with a very accurate looking transvestite. I swear, she could totally fit in one of those Las Vegas shows where dudes dress up as famous women and sing and dance.

My mind's wandering though. Tonight's shows that need to be DVR'd are going to be Gilmore Girls, House, and Scrubs. I will look forward to watching them sans commercials, and at a time of my choosing. Screw you network schedule. I'm no longer your bitch.

5 comments:

|absolute absurdities| said...

This would be like Ti-Vo right? If so this is the perfect compliment for you ,i mean PERFECT!

Jaime said...

Heather's been having a great time learning all the ins & outs of the menus while I'm at work right now. she keeps calling me all giddy when she learns something new. She's so into cable devices.

Big D said...

I have a Ti-Vo I like it but hate that it slows down channel surfing. Does you DVR do that? My Ti-Vo list includes:
The Office
My Name is Earl
Lost

|absolute absurdities| said...

cable devices huh?

Jaime said...

get your mind out of the gutter the Sal.

Sure, ever since the move to digital cable, channel surfing just gets slower and slower. the DVR from adelphia is just like TiVo, but instead, it's made from Motorola, and they call it a MOXI . . ghey.

but, we get to pause live television, even if we're not recording it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)