Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Loss in Wages AKA - Why I'm a Masochistic Fool

So, I was discussing all the wonderful points that makes the company that we work for such a dandy place with a co-worker of mine over the MSN Messenger (hey IT, feel free to relay that to your overlords . . . Big-Brother'esque motherfuckers). And I get to a comment that I made that made me think. It is regarding the bonus money we finally got early this year for a year's worth of technically supporting the clients that the company has. Here's a direct quote . . . from me . . . about this.
[T]hat's understandable. It was miniscule. Like a hundred bucks is going to make up for all of the lost wages that I have incurred by staying with this company
Just how much money have I missed out on by waiting over 8 months for my $1/hour raise? I broke out the calculator, and started crunching numbers. Eight months times 20 workdays (on average, that's 4 weeks of 5 days of work) equals 160 days. Then, I multiplied that by 8 hours and got the figure of 1280. That, is, in dollars what would have been added to my wages in that period of time. And let's not mention the change in the health care package that my employer switched to late last year that has cost me about $500 dollars. So, added to that, and not counting overtime, the total amount that this company is holding out on me is . . . .

$1780, give or take a couple of dollars. So, why don't I look for another job? I am. It's a pain in the ass. Pimping myself out on interviews is not my idea of fun. But it has got to be done. I'm also lazy, which is why my job search is not currently in high gear. Recruiters call me but it's always for jobs that I am clearly not qualified for. I mean, I could do them . . . but I would need way more training than what I'm sure they're willing to dole out. Let's just hope my future prospects pan out. Otherwise, I will still be here, not making enough money, and hating every minute of it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)