Friday, July 28, 2006

In Theaters - 7/28/06

Wide Releases

The Ant Bully - Legendary pictures is releasing this movie. I have no idea where this production company came from, but they have been putting out a lot of movies lately . . . and here at BAFW . . . we like things that put out. This CG animated movie hopes to cash in on the parents and kids crowd this weekend who have already seen PotC:DMC (if you don't know what that stands for . . . then you need to walk the plank, arrRR!). But, will it make "Shrek" bank or will it make a miniscule ant-hill of a profit . . . who knows. I'm not all that interested in this. So, I'll be skipping this movie.

John Tucker Must Die - The only thing I know about this particular movie is that some dude is dating 3 chicks at the same time. Why he must die because of that is a mystery to me. Who wouldn't want to do this? I'm not entirely sure if he's actually banging these broads, but since it's a high school themed movie, I'm going to guess that's a big no. Expect to see a buncha teeny-boppers running in and out of this movie. Kids eat this stuff up like Amanda Bynes's feces.

Miami Vice - I'm not sure if I'm ready for a remake of the "classic" 80's television series . . . but it is Micheal Mann . . . the "Mann" (haha, get it) responsible for "Heat" and "Collateral", a couple of great movies that I enjoyed. I keep hearing great things about this on the radio, but those commercials always skew towards the positive. So, this one at least piques my interest as opposed to the other two wide releases. It might be good . . . who knows. Go watch it and let me know.

Limited Releases (Synopsis for each provided by the always helpful Yahoo! Movies page . . . Sidenote provided by the always helpful Jaime! Brain)

America: Freedom to Fascism - A documentary about hoe the government is implementing new surveillance technology and its effects on civil liberties.

Another Gay Movie - A spoof on teen comedies where the four best friends looking for action before going off to college are all gay. *Sidenote - I hear the Sal has purchased his tickets for this already. The Sal loves the Cox!

Brothers of the Head - A set of conjoined twins in the 70s are picked by a music promoter for a boy band, but instead become punk rock legends.

Darshan, The Embrace - A documentary about Amma, one of India's most famous "Mahatmas" or spiritual guides, traveling with her inner circle.

I Like Killing Flies - A documentary about Shopsin's, a tiny family-owned Greenwhich Village establishment that has become a local institution.

Little Miss Sunshine - A family hits the road so their young daughter can compete in a beauty contest. Starring Greg Kinnear and Steve Carell. Sidenote - This, I actually want to see.

Scoop - An American student (Scarlett Johansson) pursues a nobleman (Hugh Jackman) who may be a killer. Directed by Woody Allen. Sidenote - Hummuna-hummuna-hummuna. Scarlett Johansson keeps making Woody Allen movies. I wonder why he loves her "acting" so much, she's totally not his adopted daughter.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)