Friday, July 07, 2006

In Theaters - 7/07/06

Opening Wide

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest -
The 2nd in the planned trilogy of movies that has Johnny Depp do his best Keith Richards impersonation. Thankfully, it has Keira Knightly in a push-up corsett, which is the only way one can enjoy that tiny little spice rack she has. This current entry into the Disney franchise will piss off a few people. It's ending is abrupt, very Matrix Reloaded-ish . . . if you catch my drift. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure the wife will drag me to this. She's very much into that Depp fellow.

Limited Releases

Heading South -
Three North American women discover excitement and danger while vacationing in Haiti during the 1980's

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos -
A documentary about the professional soccer team that brought Brazilian superstar Pelé to the U.S. in the 1970s

A Scanner Darkly -
I don't usually do a write up for a Limited Release feature, but this one seems to be pretty freaking awesome. Sure, it's got Keanu "Whoa" Reeves, but I won't let that ruin the fun for me. There are zero magic mailboxes in this movie. The story is a little confusing. Apparently, in the near future, there will be a highly addictive drug (Bejeweled 2?) that causes split personality disorders. Keanu plays a cop (I think) that is having a little conflict between the left and right hemispheres of his brain. I'm not sure if I will convince the wife to go watch this, but I will be watching this movie. Maybe next week.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)