Friday, April 21, 2006

Opening Weekend 4/21/06

Wide Release

American Dreamz -
This American Idol themed movie opens up this weekend, and I don't know why the commercials for it don't play up the terrorist plot that should be central to the movie. Ooops, did I just spoil that for the people planning on watching this movie? Too bad, you should be slapped anyway for going to see this. It looks awful.

The Sentinel - Keifer Sutherland likes typecasting . . . as he takes another paycheck that has him playing a . . . surprise surprise . . . government agent! Wow, what a stretch. The only difference between his character here and the one he plays on 24 is a suit. Even this season's 24 has him hunting down his mentor, which is pretty much the same story in this movie. Wow, why would I want to go watch this if I can just sit at home and see pretty much the same thing on my television. Oh yeah, Eva Longoria. Eh, fuck it, I don't even watch Desperate Housewives.

Silent Hill - I read a very disparaging review for this over at CHUD.COM, which makes me rethink my desire to see this movie. Their score was 3.5 out of 10, and unlike golf, you usually want a high score when doing a movie review. They cited problems with the plot, the wasted talent, the lack of scares over mood. I was waiting for this to be a good videogame movie. I guess I'll have to wait. Those CHUD guys are usually spot-on on their reviews.

Limited Releases (This week's offerings don't ring a single bell for me, so I'll just copy paste their synopsis from Yahoo! Movies. I'm an internet pirate like that sometimes.)

Celestine Prophecy - Based on the book, a man tracks down an ancient Peruvian manuscript containing prophecy of a New Age of spirituality.

Somersault -
A reckless 16-year-old Australian girl runs away from home to a snowy ski town and falls for a reserved farmer's son.

Standing Still -
A popular yet drunken actor reconnects with a group of his college friends for a wedding several years after graduation.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)