Friday, April 14, 2006

Opening This Weekend - Movies

Wide Release

Scary Movie 4 - You know, after the third one, I was pretty much done with this franchise. Are the Wayans's even in this one? From the trailer that I saw for this, it seems that only Anna Farris and the black chick are coming back. Can someone say "paycheck"? This particular Scary Movie offering focuses on such horror classics as "The Grudge", "Saw", "The Village"(??) and "War of the Worlds"(???). Um, two of those four don't seem to match the genre that they should be going for. Am I watching this movie this coming weekend?? Nope. I already saw the Clerks II trailer, so there's really no need for me to watch this.

The Wild - I thought this movie came out already . . . you know, when it was called Madagascar. Disney, I've never known you to be THIS derivative before. What's the story behind this one? Who cares, parents will take their kids to see this just so they can shut up for an hour and a half. I don't expect this to dethrone Ice Age: The Meltdown, but it'll do enough business to continue fueling non-Pixar CGI crap.

Limited Release

Hard Candy - I really want to see this movie. I was sold on this movie when the poster was released. This thriller where a pedophile gets his comeuppance from a teenage target looks like an edge of my seat affair . . . but, I might not get to see this just yet. Bank account's a little light right now . . . it would help if you cheapskates clicked on the banner ads (and bought from the Shareasale ones).

The Notorious Bettie Page - Yet another movie that I want to check out, which I probably won't make it to. Oh well, it'll open wider soon, by then, I hope to have some throwing around money. Gretchen Moll just looks like she was born for the part, even though it didn't look like it during her blonde period. This sexy romp is a must see for people who are looking for a movie that they don't want to take their kids to. Or hell, take them anyway, it'll save you the "birds & bees" talk.

Kinky Boots - This is one of those British comedies that surfaces from time to time on this side of the pond. The story is quirky, the characters are somewhat memorable, and nobody goes to watch it. It happens. What's this one about? A shoe factory in a small town is going out of business . . . and if that happens the town is DOOMED. Their savior, trannies that need a supply of "kinky" boots for their acts. Hilarity ensues . . . depending on your sense of humor.

There are several other movies opening up in limited release that I just don't feel like talking about . . . mainly because I've never heard of them. Here's a quick list.

Mountain Patrol: Kekexili
La Mujer de Mi Hermano
My First Wedding
Preaching to the Choir
The Sisters

Watch these at your own risk, but if you have seen them, drop me a note in the comments. Let me know what you thought of them.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

i saw none of the above this weekend.

check out Brick though . . . quality movie.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)