Friday, October 14, 2005

DVD Addiction . . I Mean Addition

I purchase a lot of DVD's. I'm not a pussie and go to the Blockbuster when I want to get a DVD. I don't rent, I buy. This sometimes leads me to acquiring movies of questionable merit (Hookers in a Haunted House & Gladiator Eroticus), but that doesn't happen often. And when it does, it just makes for great conversation as I try to get people to watch these low grade straight to DVD movies.

So I thought I should start catalouging my DVD purchases so I have some sort of record of my collection. The two most recent buys, courtesy of Columbia House having a $9 sale on select movies, are True Romance and The Chronicles of Riddick.

This is not a new movie. It's a Tony Scott film before he started filtering his movies through a dirty fish tank lens. Christian Slater stars when he was a somebody in Hollywood and he does a pretty great job. Patricia Arquette is also good in this, playing a whore that Slater's character marries. They go off on a great adventure filled with bullets, cocaine (no Lohans or Ritchies though), phone booth sex, and dead bodies. This was written by Quentin Tarantino, so the script can sometimes sound a little hokey (something is rotten in Denmark is used copiously), but it ends up being a thouroughly satisfying movie. Even has a happy ending. If you're looking for a "romance" movie to watch with your female significant other, then this should work just fine.

The Chronicles of Riddick . . . a much maligned and misunderstood movie. It tried to be epic when it should have been a smaller picture. Like "Pitch Black". That was a great little sci-fi flick. I really enjoy David Twohy's pictures. Just watch "Below" for a tense submarine movie. Sadly, the audiences did not flock to this (much like they didn't for Serenity) and this movie kinda tanked at the theaters. I bought it because it was only 9 bucks, but I probably would have bought it when it was originally released on DVD. I liked the universe that Riddick lives in. It can be a little melodramatic, but it was interesting.

I haven't had time to re-watch this yet, but I will be within the next few days. Just as long as I don't take a walk to Circuit City later today . . . they have "High Tension" on sale for $14.99. My bank account cries whenever I fish my ATM card out of my wallet.

1 comment:

Blueyes said...

The Riddick movie was good. I especially liked the part when he's supposed to look to see if any of those aliens are coming and he says now and then one person dies and he says well it looked clear to me lol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)