Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Fraud-ed! BofA Drained

So, I logged into my online banking with Bank of America this morning, expecting to see the usual meager amount of money available. I don't get paid much at work, and they are denying raises for everyone . . . but that's a different story. I take a look at my balance and notice that I have $0.00. After purchases made yesterday and online payments that were deducted, I should have had close to $5. Not a fortune, but still in the green.

So I click on the checking link, and notice that somehow $500 was deducted from my account on the 22nd of this month from an ATM in West Los Angeles. I don't venture out to West LA much, and I would have known if I had made a withdrawal that large. So I immediately dial up Customer Service at BofA and file a fraud complaint with them.

They took down all of my information, credited back the amount missing so that I wouldn't default on my online payments and told me that I would get an affidavit in the mail soon along with a new copy of my card. They kept asking me if any friends or family members might have gotten a hold of my card to make such a withdrawal, but I kept re-assuring them that I have held posession of my card at all times and that I keep my pin number in my head.

So, somehow, someone managed to get a copy of my card, or the information and then cloned themselves a copy of my account onto an empty card. BofA put a hold on my account until this gets resolved, so I can't access my online banking to see what's going on, but I plan on giving them a call somewhat later today to check on the status of this.

This sort of thing happened to my sister a couple of years ago. Someone in Utah cloned her ATM and made three (3) $500 withdrawals that really screwed up all of her payments. She got it resolved, but then it happened shortly thereafter . . . again . . . so I really hope that this is an isolated thing and that I haven't been targetted by some haXXor with a grudge. Whatever the case may be, I hope they find the guy/girl with the security camera on the ATM machine and prosecute his/her ass. It's only $500 . . . but it was MY $500 . . . and I want justice!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)