Friday, January 05, 2007

Getting Sick Sucks

I've been under the weather for the past couple of days. It all started Tuesday evening, when I felt a pin-prick of pain in the back of my throat. Wednesday morning, it was a full blown sore throat. Even though, I washed up and headed to work. Thought I'd pop a couple of DayQuil's and man-up. Around noon, the mucus was free-flowing from my nose. There was nothing I could do to stop it. I was excused from work, and headed home. There, I was laid up pretty much most of the day. Which is not the best position when you have a nose that is constantly running. Eventually, I dragged my ass to the couch and played some "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" on the X Box 360. Sitting up actually made my nose feel better. Videogames do have curative powers.

That night I spent tossing and turning. I could not get rest, even with the NyQuil and the Tylenol Severe Cold medicine my wife ran out to get at around midnight for me (she's a saint). Somehow, I drifted off to sleep, waking up a couple of times during the night to hock some mighty disgusting luggies that almost made me vomit. Every time I swallowed, I swallowed phlegm.

Thursday morning came around, and while the mucus had pretty much solidified in my nose, now I felt like there was a mass of hard bronchial phlegm blocking my esophagus. I phoned work, and while I was giving the receptionist the bad news, I couldn't help but notice that I sounded akin to an 80 year old woman on 2 packs of unfiltered Malboro reds a day. Or . . . Tara Reid. That kind of raspy sounding voice. So, I found some generic Tussin in the cupboard and took that, along with some more DayQuil, and tried to get some more bed-rest.

I started to feel better later that day. I didn't have that pressure in the middle of my chest and my sinuses did not feel like they were close to the point of exploding. So, today, Friday, I make it to work. While the mucus is not free-flowing like a couple of days ago, it does make it hard to talk on the phone. I'm utterly congested, and my voice keeps cracking like a 14 year old going through puberty. That, and I keep coughing up hard, green, guacamole-looking chunks of phlegm. So, I've been trying to handle mainly e-mails, because that way I don't have to hit the mute button every couple of seconds so that the client doesn't hear me trying to handle my coughing and snorting to clear my nasal passages.

Hopefully, I will start feeling better sometime during the weekend. Next week promises to be fairly interesting. A change of schedule and a new opportunity might be coming my way. I don't want to talk about it too much. I tend to jinx myself. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)