Monday, October 29, 2007

Box Office Report - Saw it Coming

Saw IV - I really really wanted to see this movie fail. I have never been a fan of this franchise, and have only watched the first in the series. But this movie, successfully making over 32 million dollars this weekend will just ensure the release of "Saw V" next year. And that will just make just as much money and there will be an unending parade of "Saw" sequels until one doesn't do so good. But, you've brought it upon yourself. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dan in Real Life - This is what I thought was going to be the big moneymaker this weekend. I was wrong. Even Steve Carell could not stand up to the mindless juggernaut that Saw is. It didn't even make a respectable amount for an opening weekend where it was only up against 1 other movie. 12 million? I guess it didn't help that the commercials made it look so fucking sheepish that even I, a fan of Steve Carell, had little to no interest in even watching it. I just hope the next project he attaches himself to is worthy of his comic talent. They can't all be winners I guess.

30 Days of Night - Thanks to the guys over at Analog Medium, I've finally had the chance to read the comics that inspired this big screen adaptation. While they comics are pretty good, I can see how it would be a little hard to translate it to film. The movie had done pretty OK for itself last week, surely not making "Saw" money, but now it drops to third place in the box office. This movie might top off at around 40 - 50 million, and make some more on the DVD market, but that might just be enough to help make more "30 Days of Night" movies. After all, there are a couple of sequels in comic book form already out there. So they might be tapped for an upcoming movie project. Just speculating though.

The Game Plan - I wish I could stop talking about this kiddie movie. It's still making money, and I consider these types of movies tantamount to child abuse. Why would you subject your children, that I am assuming you love, to something like this? What kind of a parent are you? Child Services should be knocking on anyone who has taken their child to watch this movie. But that's just one man's opinion.

Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? - It's just not a box office post without Tyler Perry's name in it these days. Touche Tyler Perry . . . touche.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)