Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Interviewing is teh Suck

Yes, I know "the" is misspelled. I know someone's gonna come in here and say "You're an idiot, blah blah blah, you can't even spell the". It's supposed to be wrong. It's a joke. Shit. Ok, so yeah, I'm not in a great mood right now. I'm interviewing currently for a new job. I want to get away from the staffing agency as much as possible. I want benefits, silly me right. So I went yesterday to a court reporting company in Glendale that was seeking bookers for their court reporters.

I went in, filled out their application. Gave them a writing sample. Took a personality test. Took an IQ test. Took an aptitude test. Yeah, the hoops were being thrown at me and I was expected to jump through them. And I did. The hiring guy was ready to offer me a job. Not the pay I was looking for, but it had benefits. Full medical/dental/vision paid by them. And a 401k. Not that I would use it, but it's nice to have it available.

After spending a cumulative 4 hours in their offices, the hiring guy tells me that I'm in the top 5% for the IQ test results and my aptitude test came out great. Now I have to do a 2nd interview, so he walks me over to a conference room where I sit around for a few minutes. A woman comes in and asks all the same questions the hiring guy asked me. At the end, she tells me to sit tight, and after a few more minutes, a 3rd guy comes in (this one with a British accent) and re-asks me the same questions all over again. By now, the hoops I'm jumping through are on fire. Finally, a few min's after the third round of interviewing, the hiring guy comes around and apologizes to me. He says "I'm sorry, I think you're a great guy but they don't think you'd be a good fit for our company". Shit!!

This is what I hate about the interviewing process. They're always looking for the best bullshitter. The one that will say all the right things instead of being honest. I'm not great at spewing bull manure from my mouth, so naturally, I don't do great at these things. Sure, I had never done any kind of work in the field that I was applying for, but that's never stopped me from getting all the other jobs that I've had.

Today I have to go phony-it up at another office down the street from the one that rejected me yesterday. This is actually a re-scheduling of yesterdays interview that I went to during the interview for the bastards that turned me down. This is a software company who's sales manager was too busy to see me yesterday at my appointed time. I sat in their reception area for over an hour, close to an hour and a half. I was not too happy about that, but I live so close to that area that I don't mind going there again. I'm not sure if I should voice my displeasure of them wasting my time yesterday, but I need the job. So I'll just have to slap on a shit-eating grin and just say fuck it.

If all else fails, the staffing agency has set up a job for me tomorrow working for FEMA. Yeah, the Federal Emergency Management Association. I would be taking calls from people that lost everything during the hurricane. It's a decent paying gig, but not permanent. And no benefits. No sick days. No paid holidays. Just a solid 40 hours/week. At this rate I'm actually considering apprenticing for a journeyman's card in driving construction equipment. That's not my thing, but heck. I'll do whatever is needed to support my family.

8 comments:

Big D said...

I think you sound pretty good laying on the BS. It's an art and it seems like you have talent. Just let the shit flow it wants too.

Crazy Dan said...

Look at it this way you were good enough to make it to the third round

Jaime said...

software company in the glendale area is currently checking my references (which i made sure to call beforehand to make sure they made me sound like a god amongst men . . . which i am). the CS manager said i was "perfect" for the job, and the hiring mgr there said that he would contact me. most likely start on Monday.

in the meantime, i think i'll just show up for that FEMA job tomorrow just to get the 14.10/hr.

Anonymous said...

Join the Marine Corps!!!

Just kidding!

Seriously GOOD LUCK with the job hunt!

Jaime said...

You read my blog Jenn?? LOL.


You know Heather would kill me if I joined the Corps. I've confirnmed the info for the FEMA temp job. 14.12/hr (woohoo! an extra 2 cents) and I can do it until the other job decides to bring me on as a direct hire.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read your blog. I need some entertainment while the man is in Iraq.

The whole screw the neighbor thing just doesnt do it for me like it does the other wives.

Christopher Trottier said...

If it makes you feel any better, I got the joke.

Jaime said...

your neighborhood has almost as much drama as the one on Desperate Housewives Jenn . . . not that I watch that show.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)