Friday, November 24, 2006

The Shift of the Damned

Yes, I am working, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Sure, it's double-time work, so I'm getting paid 16 hours worth of pay for 8 hours of work, but right now, I'm feeling like I might be a masochist. I should be in a triptopham induced coma right now, or, if I were crazy enough, shopping. But no, us little people that need to make a living have to work today. Heather had it pretty bad though. Since getting a job at a major, nationwide electronics retailer, the Black Friday histeria has hit her across the back like a bat. She had to be at work at 4:30 AM to get ready for the doors to open at 5 AM. Yeah, in the fucking morning.

And you would not have believed the line (that is, if you weren't this morning in line) that was present when I dropped her off at 4:15 AM. Easily 300+ people. The line had started to form yesterday, at 2:30 PM, so these people had bypassed the copius consumption of fowl meat and candied yams so that they could save . . . what . . . 100 bucks off a digi-cam? Almost 15 hours of waiting in the biting November cold is not worth that to me. Specially, since the weather just did a u-turn and instead of close to 90 degree weather, the temps have dipped at least 20 degrees in the last 2 days. So, those people were most likely enduring temps in the 40's overnight. It was 50 degrees in the morning when I headed to work, and that was at 7:45 AM.

So, yeah, back to my current plight. There's a few of us here, who are sacrificing their 4 day weekends for extra cash, and we are facing a mountain of e-mail from Wednesday and Thursday . . . and today. What the fuck are all of our customers thinking? Can't they just back away from their computers and give us a friggin break. And I just heard the phone go off, so that means that we're also taking calls. Fan-fucking-tastic. I'm not answering my phone. Screw them. I was told that this would only entail responding to e-mail. I'm not losing my sanity because morons can't work their computers right.

Anyway, here I am, sleepy as shit, and wishing that I could either be in bed, or playing Gears of War (awesome). I guess that's what I have to look forward to tomorrow, since Heather will be working another 8 hour shift, fending off consumer-zombies seeking new and inventive ways to deplete their wallets and pocketbooks.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)