Friday, September 15, 2006

Dead Rising - DOA

I love my XBOX 360. For the most part, I've enjoyed every single game I've played on it. Some more than others. I had heard great things about "Dead Rising", and was eagerly anticipating playing it, and so was my wife. I was fortunate enough to marry a zombie-lover. So, we got the game from Gamefly, and popped it into the console.

At first, everything looks great. The game is moving along quite nicely, and right after the cinematic where the protagonist jumps out of the helicopter onto the top of the mall, the load screen comes up . . . and never leaves. We try it multiple times, and get to the same spot, and nothing progresses past that.

So, we figure it is a defective disk, contact Gamefly, and they send me another copy. We pop that one in, start playing it, and then get to the same spot. Both my wife and I are sitting there, with our fingers crossed, waiting for the load screen to yield the next part of the game.

But, once again, nothing happens! We encounter the same damn problem. I did some checking up online about different problems people had while running this game . . . and they were pretty scary issues. The most benign one referenced the small text style CAPCOM chose to go with, making it very hard to read anything on screen when using a standard definition television. The opposite end of the spectrum of problems was ending up with a completely dead XBOX 360. I even heard guest-host Brett Butler on XPLAY say that it had happened on her 360 as well. So, while not being able to play a game that looks fucking awesome sucks, at least maintaining my console operational is the silver-lining. I'll just go back to playing N3, which I'm still trying to hack/slash my way through.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)