Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Downfall of the English Language Takes a Pee Break


Every so often, I run across something at work which just makes me think "goddamn G.E.D. is just not enough these days". The picture above is a flier for a fund-raising event at work that was posted above one of the urinals in the bathrooms, hence the title of this post, which is good. I have nothing against charitable donations and it doesn't sound like a terrible event either. You pay 5 bucks and you get to play the latest Madden game on either an XBOX 360 or a Playstation 3 for an hour or so. I don't have a problem with the inherent idea, it's just the execution of the flier that bothers me. And if it hasn't already stuck out like a sore thumb for you, then you might want to consider if you've become part of the problem.

So, right there, in the middle of the flier, in the largest font, someone decided to use the wrong "your". Classic mistake someone would expect to run into . . . in elementary school. But whomever took the time to make this flier isn't in elementary school. They're not even in high school. They've joined the work force, and this is what they're contributing. They're not bringing their A game. More like their D+ game.

But, I can't point it out at work. I had the unfortunate experience of bringing this up to someone who had made a rather nice flier for a baby shower a few months ago, and even though I was well meaning and complimented the flier and the hard work they must have put into it, the person was not all that receptive to my constructive criticism of their work, and just walked away, probably thinking I was a douchebag elitist . . . just because I know which words to use and when to use them.

So, from now on, I don't point this out anymore. I'd rather rant about it here. Where I can say whatever the fuck I want. But at least I'm saying it in a coherent and easy to follow format.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)