Friday, February 29, 2008

Opening Weekend Movies - 2/29/2008

Semi-Pro - Is there any doubt in your mind that you won't be waking up to this movie Monday being the #1 movie in America? At least the #1 comedy in America. Everything Will Ferrell does lately just ends up being loved by the mass populace. To tell you the truth, while this movie looks like it could illicit a laugh or two from me, it's not enough to make me want to go see it. But I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD, kind of like "Blades of Glory", which I almost rented last weekend. Almost . . . I just couldn't get myself to rent an ice-skating movie. "The Cutting Edge"* just killed the whole sub-genre for me.



The Other Boleyn Girl - Period peaces bore me to tears. But this movie has Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson in it. I'm conflicted. Those are two of the hottest, screen-melting women on the planet. And they're stuck in this movie where they play sisters? Couldn't they be lesbian lovers? Only in a perfect world. Oh yeah, Eric Bana is in this as well. Did I mention that he cinematically beds both of them. Did I also mention that I know hate Eric Bana.



Penelope
- Look at how ambiguous the Yahoo! movie page's description for this film is:
Christina Ricci is a woman suffering from a "curse" who sets out to free herself of a life-long bad luck streak and find her true self.
The "curse" is that she has a pig's snout for a nose. I think "Bubble Boy"** is a deeper movie than this. That was another movie about a voyage of self-discovery. But, I guess it could be argued that, even with a prosthetic pig nose, Christina Ricci is still hotter than Jake Gyllenhaal.



*When was the last time you heard of the movie "The Cutting Edge" . . . whoa, hello nostalgia.

**"Bubble Boy" rocks!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Blades of Glory at a free advance screening. I was totally surprised at how hilarious it was. I liked it better than Talladega, for sure.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)