Monday, December 24, 2007

Box Office Report -National Booty

National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Well well well, finally, a Nick Cage cinematic vehicle that is profitable. Sure, it didn't have "I Am Legend"s gigantic numbers from last weekend, but doing about just over half that much business is still great. Maybe it's because his hair in this movie was actually believable? Possible. And I know I said I would wait a while to see this in theaters, but I'm pretty sure I will be catching this on Christmas Day with my brother in law. He's only in town for a couple more days, and I'm sure he'd be cool with picking a movie for once rather than get dragged along to the movies my wife and I want to watch. This one's for you Stephen!

I Am Legend - 2nd week out, about 50% drop in cash in, but still well past the 100 million dollar mark. I think this movie has done pretty well for itself. Everyone seems to want to go watch Will Smith fighting evil rabies vampire zombies . . . it makes more sense when you watch it.

Alvin and the Chipmunks - Ugh . . . this movie. I don't know what's wrong with people. It's because of you, that went to watch this, that Hollywood thinks that there's a market for this garbage. Computer animated chipmunks that sing? Give me a fucking break. This is almost as relevant as that Garfield movie that came out (what? there were two of them? Oh yeah . . . I was intoxicated at the time). Except that the Garfield movie had the cred of having great actors like Bill Murray . . . I said actors right? Never mind. Great actor.

Charlie Wilson's War - Not a bad showing for a movie that doesn't promise a whole lot of action or animated animals or rabid vampire zombies. Maybe it helped that there were no musical numbers. And maybe people wanted to see a movie about the cold war when it was actually cold outside. Who cares. Whatever it did right, it did it good enough to land it a spot in the top 5.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - See . . . musicals are crap. Quit making them. Sure, it's in the top five movies, but that Nick Cage movie killed you. I don't care that your songs are written by some guy named Sondheim. And that you have Tim Burton inexplicably embracing this. And don't even mention Johnny Depp. That guy's around whenever Burton moves his bowels. This movie might make more money when it's released on DVD . . . or BluRay . . . or Betamax.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)