Thursday, August 28, 2008

HBO Kills "Preacher" - God Gets his Revenge

HBO didn't actually kill a preacher. Rather, it ended production of a televised adaptation of Garth Ennis's epic Vertigo Comics series "Preacher" that was just about ready to start shooting in the near future. Mark Steven Johnson (of "Punisher" infamy) was set to direct, and here's what he has to say about the whole bloody affair:
"We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going," Johnson told The Comics Continuum. "But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

"It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I've learned my lesson on that front and I won't do it again. So I'm afraid it's dead at HBO."
If anyone at Showtime is getting wind of this, fucking pick up this series. This would go great with "Dexter" and "Weeds" and all of your other original series (there's just no way to pluralize that word, is there?). Pretty please?

*"God gets his revenge" is a rather spoiler'y reference to something that happens in the comic series. It would do you good to buy all 10 volumes of "Preacher", you know, so you could get with the program.

**For someone who's supposed to be on vacation, I'm not doing a great job of relaxing. Just couldn't help myself when I saw this before heading out on vacation. So, that post where I said I wouldn't be posting much of anything for the next couple of days from a couple of days ago . . . let's forget that ever happened.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)