Saturday, March 15, 2008

Opening Weekend Movies 3/14/2008

Doomsday - I know this movie looks like the height of ridicule, but goddammit, I want to see it. It looks appropriately kick-ass. The characters look like generic bad guys and tough bitches that take no shit from no one, which has all been done in the past. But it hasn't been done well lately. This movie, by the director of "The Descent" (freaking awesome movie) looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure critics are looking to tear this film a new one because it's not "No Country for Old Men"-type stuff, but there is a place for mindless entertainment. This should qualify it as that. Go watch this, turn off your brain, and enjoy.



Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who
- I know why they're making this movie. It's just around the time that anyone that read this as a child is old enough to have kids that they want to share the experience with, and being that children nowadays are more receptive to moving pictures rather than books, it would seem like the perfect thing to take your kid to. Plus, it's got a couple of talented people lending their vocal likeness to the characters. It doesn't pull me in, because, frankly, I never read this particular Dr. Seuss tale when I was growing up. "Are you My Mother" was my absolute favorite, maybe because it was more real life than, say, something like "Cat in the Hat" or "Green Eggs and Ham".



Never Back Down - This is like this millennium's "Karate Kid". Except, everyone's buffer and Mr. Miyagi is a black dude. But other than that, pretty much the same thing. New guy in town gets his ass handed to him. He trains with someone that kicks ass but chooses not to fight, and gets the girl in the end after having a big-time showdown with the guy that previously kicked his ass. Looks entertaining, but I'm already watching one mindless thing this weekend. No space for two.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Custom Search
Apple iTunes
.Mac (Apple Computer, Inc.)